Working as a vessel master I have witnessed the shortfalls of hasty installations and poor attention to detail in the fitment of critical equipment. Over the years of self-repair at sea, we started our own business. All our jobs are personal and completed with a passion as if it were ours. Our recently constructed website and Facebook page have multiple work descriptions and photos demonstrating our workmanship capabilities. Frontier Marine Services is a small family business which has been in operation since October 2009. We specialize in marine and automotive electrical/electronic supply, install, repair and fault diagnosis. We have a 6m work boat suitable for dry or wet hire which also facilitates in onsite repairs in partially smooth waters of the Northern Territory. We have an Electrical Contractors Licence no. C3674
All of our insurance is managed by Lockton Companies Perth. Our Marine and General Insurance Policy covers Public Liability insurance $20 million and Products Liability insurance $20 million. We also have current workers compensation cover.
We have been recently contracted for electrical maintenance tasks on the Australian Navy Armidale Patrol Class Boats. This has included a range of fault finding tasks and repairs where required. Previous major projects included a 12m Oceantech Flybridge Cruiser with a value of $1.1million for a private client. We were involved from the construction of the hull through to the sea trials and now with the ongoing maintenance. We completed the electrical design and entire fit out of all electrical and electronic equipment. This involved twin Volvo 370hp D4, 5kva marine genset, Victron Quattro 12/3000/120, electronic package – Simrad NSS12 x 2, Simrad NSS8, VHF, Simrad auto pilot, Simrad 4G RADAR, complete NMEA 2000 network with main engines, engine room video cameras, entertainment system – Fusion IP700 in saloon with Simrad Sonic Hub in flybridge with complete integration, 3 cabins with TV and video feeds.
Our staff members include –
Dave Pears – Director/Marine Technician
Qualifications – Master Class 4, Auto Electrician, ABYC Marine Electrical Certification, Marine Engine Driver 2, GMDSS, Tug Master, AMSA Certificate of Safety Training, MYOB, Working at Heights, Forklift, Vehicle Loading Crane, White Card
Colin Storer – Marine Electrician
Qualifications – A-Grade Electrician A 15366, Working at Heights, HV Switching, Hazardous Areas Accreditation to AQF Level VI, Dogging, CN Crane, EWP, Forklift, White Card
Sam Bibby – Apprentice Electrician
Qualifications – Working at Heights, EWP, Forklift, Confined Space, White Card
Leanne Pears – Director/Admin & Accounts
Qualifications – Batchelor of Arts, Diploma of Education, MYOB
All our staff have and maintain inductions and passes for the following
- Darwin Port
- Darwin Marine Supply Base
- Larrakia Naval Base
A list of our major clients includes the following
- Bhagwan Marine
- Arafura Bluewater Charters
- Coastal Tug and Barge
- Darwin Port Authority
- Darwin Barra and Crab
- Territorial Waters
- FV Jae Hardy
- FV El Karlyn 2
- MV Seafar
- Top End Tackleworld
- Dynamic Refrigeration Solutions
Products and Services
- Repairs can be conducted, depending on the scope, either at our workshop, on the water, or at your place of business. We predominately work with boats but also complete vehicle accessory fitment.
- All aspects of AC and DC electrical fault diagnosis including pumps and hydraulics, repairs and new installations. From design to operation. Equipment installs include – auto pilots, navigational equipment such as GPS, multi-function displays, transducers, sounders, RADAR, AIS, pumps, lights, trim tabs, batteries including management panels and charging facilities, switch panels, DC outlets, solar panels and regulators, stereo systems, communication equipment.
- Source and supply necessary specialist equipment for any tasks required
- Low voltage AC installations, repairs and fault diagnosis for any equipment up to 1000 volt
- Electronic installations and vessel device networking. We predominately work with Simrad/Navico equipment, but are capable of all brands of electronic navigation equipment.
- All work is carried out in a professional, timely and honest manner. All common consumables and cabling suitable for the job are carried in a service vehicle for time efficient repairs.